Ma-iskEm ... -Reply

Henry Zenk psu18009 at ODIN.CC.PDX.EDU
Thu Feb 11 23:22:10 UTC 1999

Henry.  I believe my dissertation is available from UMI.  It is an
Anthropology dissertation, University of Oregon, 1984.  It is summarized
in a short article in the International Jo. of the Sociology of Language
71 (special issue on pidgin-creole studies, J. Rickford ed.), 1988.  The
article is probably more readable than the dissertation, though needless
to say the dissertation has more detail.  If you do get the dissertation
let me know, as I have an errata sheet to go with it!

I say a little about the "actual process of language replacement" in the
article.  There were two phases:  1, replacement of tribal languages by
Jargon and English, 2, replacement of Jargon and English by English.  The
replacement process seemed to follow generational lines pretty closely.
Take the Hudson family, for example.  The parents of Ila Dowd, now 90 and
one of the last Grand Ronde elders capable of connected speech in Jargon,
both spoke tribal languages (her father, John B. Hudson, was Jacobs's
principal Kalapuya-language informant) AND Jargon AND English.  As was
typical at Grand Ronde, they had different tribal languages, hence shared
Jargon and English.  While they used both Jargon and English at home,
Jargon seemed to have a special significance for them--it was, I am sure,
the language of their courtship, which happened at a time when Jargon was
heard from nearly everyone everyday on that small reservation (J. B.
Hudson was born in about 1860, so we're talking about the last 20-25 years
of the 19th c.).  The Hudson children, of which Ila is now the last
surviving, grew up with both Jargon and English.  As Ila herself once told
me, "I can't think of a time when we didn't know Jargon and didn't know
English ..." (quoted in my dissertation, which I don't have before me so
it may not be quite exact).  As children, they hardly if ever heard their
parents' tribal languages.  Another Hudson sister once told me that she
never even knew that their father HAD a tribal language, until an elder
on his deathbed requested their father to come and talk it--the guy wanted
to hear his native language spoken one last time! (I remember Ila telling me
though that when he was near HIS end, and rather delirious, it was Jargon
he was mainly speaking.)  Ila's late sister (and my friend) Mrs. Eula
Petite made the first beginning at reviving Jargon in the Grand
Ronde community (those Title IV classes in the 1970s I was mentioning in
some previous emails).  But I also remember her telling me about the long
period in which they (and many others) largely neglected the language.
There was a period when many GR Indians were more concerned about joining
the mainstream of American society than about preserving such vestiges of
Native identity.  I don't believe that any of the sisters used Jargon at
home with their own children:  they still used it occasionally with each
other (it was especially handy when they didn't want their children to
know what they were talking about!), but with their children, they used
English.  I have observed a certain contradiction in some elders:
very proud of being Indian and speaking "Indian" (as Jargon was known at
Grand Ronde if not everywhere), but indignant at the idea of teaching it
to their own children ("that's going backwards," as one elder put it to
me; the same elder was very proud of being the "last" speaker of "really
good Jargon").  Henry