Harrison G. Rogers's Second Journal

Fri Feb 12 08:02:52 UTC 1999

"The Ashley-Smith explorations and the discovery of a central route to the
Pacific 1822-1829."  Ed. by Harrison Clifford Dale.  Rev. ed.  Glendale,
CA:  Arthur H. Clark, 1941.

*Page 271:  'Saturday, July 5th, 1828.  We travelled 1 1/2 miles to-day N.
and, finding good grass, enc. as our horses was pretty tired.  Two Inds.,
who speak Chinook [footnote], came to our came; they tell us we are ten
days travell from Catapos on the wel Hamett [sic], which is pleasing news
to us.  [Footnote:]  The Chinook jargon.  This is the first instance of
the use, so far south, of what later became the lingua franca of the
entire Pacific coast from California to Alaska.  It was first noticed
about 1810, and at that time consisted only of Indian words, but later it
incorporated English, French, and, perhaps, Russian words.  In 1841 the
number of words in the jargon was estimated at two hundred fifty.'

*Page 274:  'Friday, July 11, 1828.  All hands up early and under way, had
an Ind. who speaks Chinook along as a guide...To-day we enc. where there
was some Inds. living; a number of them speak Chinook; 70 or 80 in camp;
they bring us fish and berris [sic] and appear friendly; we buy those
articles from them at a pretty dear rate.  Those Inds call themselves the
Omp quch [i.e. Umpqua -- Athapaskans].'

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html