Harrison G. Rogers's Second Journal (fwd)

Sat Feb 13 08:57:03 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:04:37 -0500
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at virginia.edu>
To: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
Subject: Re: Harrison G. Rogers's Second Journal

>"The Ashley-Smith explorations and the discovery of a central route to the
>Pacific 1822-1829."  Ed. by Harrison Clifford Dale.  Rev. ed.  Glendale,
>CA:  Arthur H. Clark, 1941.
>
>*Page 271:  'Saturday, July 5th, 1828.  We travelled 1 1/2 miles to-day N.
>and, finding good grass, enc. as our horses was pretty tired.  Two Inds.,
>who speak Chinook [footnote], came to our came; they tell us we are ten
>days travell from Catapos on the wel Hamett [sic], which is pleasing news
>to us.  [Footnote:]  The Chinook jargon.  This is the first instance of
>the use, so far south, of what later became the lingua franca of the
>entire Pacific coast from California to Alaska.  It was first noticed
>about 1810, and at that time consisted only of Indian words, but later it
>incorporated English, French, and, perhaps, Russian words.  In 1841 the
>number of words in the jargon was estimated at two hundred fifty.'
>
>*Page 274:  'Friday, July 11, 1828.  All hands up early and under way, had
>an Ind. who speaks Chinook along as a guide...To-day we enc. where there
>was some Inds. living; a number of them speak Chinook; 70 or 80 in camp;
>they bring us fish and berris [sic] and appear friendly; we buy those
>articles from them at a pretty dear rate.  Those Inds call themselves the
>Omp quch [i.e. Umpqua -- Athapaskans].'
>
>Of course, if Athapaskan speaking, then they are the Upper Umpqua,
the Lower Umpqua being non-Athapaskan, but being very close to Siuslaw (at
thge mouth of the Siuslaw River, and both probably belonging to the
Penutian family.

Nowadays the people use the name Cow Creek (after a stream on which they
were located)

When I started Reed College in 1944,and perhaps when I came back out of the
army, 1947, Harrison C. Dale was college controller.  But I didn't know of
this connection or indeed anything about CJ.

and  *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*