Smith River Rancheria

Sun Feb 7 06:51:37 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm, David, qhata mayka?

XawElh nay wawa manak'i-hayu mersi, I can't thank you enough, pus may mash
ukuk tunus c'Em pipa khapa lIst...for sending these clippings to the list.

These are wonderfully early attestations of ChInuk!  Very neat to see that
the language had spread so far afield in such a short time.  How much of a
role do you figure Indians played in this diffusion to California, and how
much did non-Indians do to transmit ChInuk that direction?

"Both him sicks":  Sounds like a typical (racist?) newspaper caption of
the day!  And I agree, it looks like a joking reference not only to these
men being ill, but being a pair of friends (/shiks/, <sikhs>).

Lhush pulakli.
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html