The "p" word

Fri Feb 19 01:52:43 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm,

I've also found several occurrences of <papus> "baby"/"small child" in the
Chinook Jargon of _Kamlups Wawa_.  One is in LeJeune's "Chinook
Rudiments", 1924, I believe, and the others are in issues of the newspaper
itself.

It's interesting to read, as I am this week, in that newspaper about
Fathers Chirouse and LeJeune preaching several days in a row to a very
large gathering of First Nations people in the Kamloops area.  Many names
of indigenous people prominent in local history are mentioned as well:
Chief Louis, a member of the Saxa family, and so on.

Lhush chxi pulakli,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html