ChInuk newsgroup idea

Mon Feb 22 15:45:21 UTC 1999

That's a splendid idea.

That will be a better place for rambling nontechnical discussions than a
list on a linguistics server.

And indeed this group is not a democracy.  That's a function of how
Listserv works.

Mike is *not* informing you folks of those who have previously directly
contacted him about the issues in question.

Mike is *not* aware that I am *the* person who has defended his good
intentions when confronted by the parties in question.

Mike presumably knows that I like him and am grateful for what he's done
for ChInuk.

I still have not heard from any of you about the option of switching this
list to "fully moderated" -- i.e. like the SALISHAN list, where exactly
the same issues we're now dealing with on CHINOOK forced me to make that
change, and now all postings are simply submitted to me for approval.

Oddly, not a single member of the SALISHAN group has accused me of "high-
handedness and secrecy", nor of apparently conspiratorial secrecy.  On the
contrary, the change to fully moderated status on that group was met with
war, praise, and I felt as though all the heartache I'd been
enduring because of issues of insensitivity and "cultural appropriation"
could have been cut shorter.

Do you who are crying loudest understand that I'm acting with the good of
our group in mind?

Why on earth do you think I launched this group?

Why do you think I put large amounts of my time into it?  Do you realize
that I work full time outside of linguistics?

Our list is archived.  Every posting that appears on it is stored and
cataloged in a linguistics server.  Anyone can view your postings now and
in the future.  I fully expect a warning from the manager of that server
to keep our group on the topic of ChInuk, and keep the discussion civil.

Figure the rest out.

Yours voluntarily,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html