Have we talked about Leighton's book?

Tue Feb 23 04:13:13 UTC 1999

Klahowya, sikhs.

Na ahnkuttie nesika wawa kopa okoke book, "West Coast Journeys, 1865-1879:
The travelogue of a remarkable woman"?  Caroline C. Leighton yaka mamook
tzum yaka, pe oke Sasquatch Press kopa Seattle yaka potlatch okoke book
kopa mahkook, spose cole 1995.  (Delate okoke book house yaka potlatch
nesika Terry Glaving ikt / moxt yaka book, nika tumtum!)

Okoke Leighton kloochman yaka hiyu wawa kopa Chinook lalang.  Klonass 20
- 30 pepah kopa okoke book mitlite Chinook wawa.

Caroline Leighton yaka nanitch pe kumtux delate hiyu iktas kopa nesika
illahie.  Kahkwa, okoke yaka book hayash kloshe.

*p[epah] 36:  'We noticed the superiority of the "stick" Indians (those
who live in the woods) [sic!  wake siah kopa Walla Walla okoke] over those
who live by the sea.'

*p. 93  '...tenas-tenas (the little one)...'

Kloshe kumtux, Leighton yaka kwollan hiyu Chinook wawa wake siah kopa oke
salt chuck, pe halo kwollan yaka kopa dly illahie kopa hulloima side kopa
lamontay.

Delate, delate kloshe, okoke book.

Dave

[Have we already talked about this book?  Caroline Leighton wrote it, and
Sasquatch published it in Seattle in 1995.  I think that's the same
publisher who gave us one or two of Terry Glavin's books!

[Mrs. Leighton spoke quite a bit of Chinook Jargon.  Maybe 20 or 30 pages
of this book have Chinook in them.

[Caroline Leighton noticed and understood much in our region.  So her book
is quite good.

[The quote about 'stick Indians' being forest-dwellers was ironically
entered in her diary when she was near Walla Walla, Washington -- in the
desert country.

[It's interesting that she heard quite a bit of Chinook Jargon around the
coast, but not at all inland.

[This is a very good book.]

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html