(BastEn sItkEm): Apology

Wed Feb 24 07:11:31 UTC 1999

Klahowya.

I take full responsibility for any wrong actions that have been taken in
the process of trying to deal with accusations of insensitivity and
cultural appropriation on Mike Cleven's part.

Much anger has come about, and I strongly feel it's wrong for a group
dealing with the bridge-building language par excellence, ChInuk Wawa, to
deal in exclusion and censorship.

For those who don't read ChInuk or haven't seen my open letter to Mike, I
apologize completely.  Mike is reinstated.  My thanks to all of you who
voiced your support publicly and privately for Mike, for me, and more
importantly for CHINOOK.

I have acted, since I am the only moderator and the only listowner of
CHINOOK, on my own and with the intention of doing what is best for the
ChInuk circle.  This is a big responsibility.  If I've disappointed or
angered you, I respect how you are feeling.

Please consider my record hitherto, and please expect me to do as well and
better from this time onward.

Mike, we had best communicate more about this between ourselves.  I have
written a more extensive version of this note privately to you.  I hope
that you will continue to be a major force working for a ChInuk Wawa
community, and against petty cliques.  I hope that you and I will continue
to work for this same goal together.

I apologize for causing hurt by acting more hastily than I probably should
have.

With regard to the discussions on this list, I propose that we continue as
before.  If LINGUISTLIST decides we've strayed too far from our mission,
we are free to move to another server, with deep thanks to them for their
constant generosity.

With regard to starting a new list, the idea has been discussed last
summer at the ChInuk Lu7lu in Grand Ronde.  (At that time, some folks
wondered if it would be good to have a separate group for talking in
ChInuk, and perhaps feeling less self-conscious about making any
mistakes.)  The consensus was that learning the language is integral to
the existence of the CHINOOK list, and that everyone can feel free to post
their ideas on this list, from the wondering to the expert.  Similarly, it
is necessary for CHINOOK to deal with social and historical issues, given
the unique history and nature of this language.  Siphoning those
discussions off to another list would be like losing blood.  Our circle of
talk would become fainter.

I am not in favor of there being a separate list.  Everyone is welcome
here.

Thank you for listening,
Dave Robertson

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html