The Old Settlers contest of 1892

Wed Feb 24 19:11:47 UTC 1999

Hello,

Robert A. Bennett edited the book "A small world of our own" (Walla Walla,
Washington:  Pioneer, 1985), which is a collection from the notebooks of
the Rev. Myron Eells, well-known Protestant missionary in Washington
Territory.  The stories were submitted by many people for the Old Settlers
contest of 1892, and they contain quite a few Chinook Jargon usages.
There are some examples of Chinook Jargon speech directly quoted from
Indian people, which I find especially interesting.  So those who want to
learn about the quality of dialogue between the cultural groups of the NW
in the settler period may enjoy this substantial volume.

Good day,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html