B.C. CJ 1873 (fwd)

Fri Feb 26 16:42:55 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:38:37 -0600
From: "Alan H. Hartley" <ahartley at d.umn.edu>
To: Chinook <chinook at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: B.C. CJ 1873

I. Powell _Rept. Sup. Ind. Aff. B.C. 1872-73_ p. 4 (1873):

"The Chinook jargon, usually alluded to as the common language of the
coast..is very little used or understood by natives outside of white
settlements, and is generally (I think justly too) despised by them, as
being far inferior in every way to their own tongue.""