BC Jargon, wEXt tl'unEs Ikta

Fri Feb 26 16:52:14 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm,

In my reading this week I saw that the Haida reputedly looked with
contempt on the Chinook Jargon.

It's interesting to have learned recently of a supposed Haida jargon and
of a Kutenai jargon for use with outsiders.  Those two groups did not
adopt much from CJ into their languages, as far as a casual check has
shown me.  (There are a couple of interesting loans in Kutenai, though,
which I'll post later.)

However, it seems to me that the Wakashan languages (broadly, Kwagiulh and
Nuu-chah-nulth) didn't adopt many foreign words, be they English, CJ, or
other, into their languages.  So this metric may not by itself be very
illustrative!  Nuu-chah-nulth speakers, as we know, adopted CJ quite
handily.

Of all the language families in BC, I might guess that Salishan adopted
the most from CJ into everyday speech.  It could be very rewarding to
discern why and how this happened.

Lhush "mEkmEk san" from
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html