Chinook character requirements (fwd)

Fri Feb 26 16:56:08 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:15:51 +0000
From: Michael Everson <everson at egt.ie>
To: The Chinook List <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Chinook character requirements

----
Dave,

Thanks for your very long message, but it assumes that I know something
about Chinook writing systems, which I do not.

Can you start with the basics? I suppose there is one or more Latin-based
writing orthography. Here the question is, do they make use of characters
which are not in the Universal Character Set. Do you have fonts?

Then there is apparently some "shorthand" system. Where is this specified?
Is it based on an existing shorthand system like Pitman or Gregg? Do you
have fonts?

Thanks.

Michael Everson  **  Everson Gunn Teoranta  **   http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire