Grand Ronde spellings and others for CJ

R K Henderson rkhen at SOFTHOME.NET
Thu Jan 7 00:45:27 UTC 1999

Let's not forget, while discussing spelling, that Jargon varies widely in
pronunciation from place to place. I doubt Alaska speakers could
understand a word Siskiyou speakers pronounced. Therefore, before we can
develop a scientific writing system, we have to decide whose Jargon is
the 'real' one. (Or, stated another way, who will be in the vast majority
of "incorrect" speakers.)

As those involved with Native languages will tell you, the issue of how
to write an unwritten language is not trivial. I know Navajo linguists
who rue the day their language was alphabetised. I myself find much of
the Jargon in this group incomprehensible. Part of this is because many
members have chosen transcriptions that vary widely from those I'm used
to. But a lot of it is because I can't even figure out what they're
saying when I read their messages out loud to myself. Their Jargon is too
"weird."

At base, the problem is that Jargon was never intended to be written, and
doing so changes it in some dramatic ways. In real life, we're supposed
to have eye contact with each other, to subtitle our words simultaneously
in Native sign, and to use exaggerated vocal and facial expressions to
convey degree.

All of which is to say, let's be careful of being good little 21st
century eggheads and get all wrapped up in spelling, pronunciation, and
grammar. (Not that there's anything wrong with light discussion of these
topics.) For Jargon scholars, this is a little like boring a hole in the
bottom of a swamped boat to let the water out.

Mahsie naika kumtukh (Mahsie nika kumtux, massie niga komtuch, etc.)

Robin Henderson
Writer and Photographer

Check out my biweekly column on world languages:
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/world_languages