Grand Ronde spellings and others for CJ

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Thu Jan 7 10:25:05 UTC 1999

Hi, all!  I'd like to welcome Robin Henderson to the group.  I also see
many others I've met have made it onto the list, and several I haven't
had a chance to meet yet, on the reservation and all over the country!
I have received over 400 messages from the Chinook list.  Great work,
Dave!

On reviewing my list I see I have hastily skimmed many messages and need
to go back and reread them.  Once I peek in a message, my mail reader
marks it as "already read" and I tend to forget it.  I need to remember
to mark messages I can't finish at the moment as "unread" so they'll
stay highlighted in my folder.

Well, I found Tony's spelling (with all the X's and !'s) quite
incomprehensible at first when I saw it in email, but after the workshop
I found I could read it easily.  Perhaps just seeing him put in on the
blackboard while he explained and pronounced it made the difference.
The notes and recording of the workshop have been a bit delayed (we've
all been busy) but I hope to be able to circulate them within about six
weeks.  Perhaps the confusion of some by the spelling variation will be
relieved somewhat then.

I don't have an opinion on spelling myself (I'm trying to model my
involvement with the Jargon after C-SPAN's involvement with Washington),
although when Marv considered using the Kamloops Wawa script in his
Kumtux Tutor software I urged him to stick with Roman characters to
avoid making the language too intimidating to beginners.  After
extensive work with it (including developing a computer font), he
eventually set the shorthand aside as it also was technically difficult
to implement the hand script on a computer screen.

But it does seem that while the varied spelling methods and phonetic
Roman scripting of Tony's makes it harder on the beginners whose
knowledge of the Jargon is mostly based on Gibbs/Shaw (most of us,
including myself), once you do get the hang of it, seeing the alternate
spellings does improve one's sense of the pronunciation, helping to
"hear" the Jargon in the mind when seeing it written.  All the spelling
methods only approximate the Jargon, and the diversity of spelling,
while making the Jargon more complicated, does help fill in the gaps
when trying to mentally connect the language written down with how it
sounds.

So hang in there, keep grappling with it, and look forward to the
character chart and recording coming to you when I receive all the
pieces and get the workshop package assembled and distributed.

Regards,

Jeff