"The Vancouver Chinook" note

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Jan 11 01:07:13 UTC 1999

Thought some of you might be interested....

I was watching the History Channel (a Canadian cable channel) on a
biography concerning Margaret Lally "Ma" Murray, an infamous woman
publisher in BC history.  Turns out her first job in Canada (she was from
Kansas) was with the "Vancouver Chinook", a newspaper published at 30th and
Main from 1912 to 1928, which was run by her soon-to-be-husband George
Murray (Ma tended to get what she wanted).

Nothing much linguistically, but just another interesting usage from BC's
history.....I think the invocation of this word here was for the name of
the Jargon, rather than of the eponymous wind (the term not being used in
that sense in BC much).  The Jargon was still very much alive at the time,
and George Murray might have named it in honour of the Auld Tongue of the
city (his family was city establishment, inferring that his elders probably
knew it well).  Be interesting to know if any of the early issues have much
Chinook usage in them.....Terry?