Grand Ronde spellings and others for CJ

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Mon Jan 11 10:07:01 UTC 1999

Hi, Dave.  I wanted you to know I appreciate the effort it takes to lay
out your messages side-by-side with English, as it helps me with the
phonetic spelling.  As I read this one, I put down the old spelling
beside it as an exercise, partly to ensure sure I read it all and didn't
skim over any, but mostly to illustrate how I deal with the phonetic
spelling myself.  What I do basically is translate the phonetic spelling
to the one I've worked with (by sounding it out in my mind), and then I
rummage around in my brain until I recall the English words for the
Chinook ones.

Regards,

Jeff

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:58:58 -0800, you wrote:

>Klahowyam, Robin,
>
>Many thanks for your message!  By way of reply,
>Hayash masi khapa uk-ma-c'em-pipa!  Pus na-wawa k'ilapay,
Hyas mahsie copa okoke tzum pepah.  Spose nah wawa kilapai

>the different ways people spell Chinook Jargon are like
>xluwima tilxem munk-c'em Chxi Chinuk xluwima, pi ukuk kakwa
huloima tillikum mamook tzum ? Chinook huloima, pe okoka kahkwa

>the 'dialects' (may I say that?*) of CJ spoken in various
>xluwima tilxem wawa ukuk lalang xluwima khapa yawa pi yakwa
huloima tillikum wawa okoke lalang huloima kopa yahwa pe yakwa

>places in the Northwest.
>khapa nsayka ili'i.
kopa nesaika illaheee

>Here's what I mean:  Not everyone's going to easily understand someone
>Nanich, kakwa ukuk:  Wik kanawi-lhaksta ayaq kemteks xluwima man
nanitch, kahkwa okoke:  wake konoway klaksta ? kumtux huloima man

>else's CJ, and not everyone's going to easily understand someone
>ya-wawa Chinuk, pi wik kanawi-lhaksta ayaq kemteks xluwima man ya-munk -
yahwa wawa Chinook, pe wake konoway klaksta ? kumtuks huloima man yahwa
mamook

>else's writing of it.
>c'em Chinuk.
tzum Chinook

>But, what is CJ if not a means of attempting to understand
>Pi pus-ikta tilxem wawa uk Chxi Chinuk?  Pus lhas-kemteks
Pe pus iktah tillikum wawa okoke ? Chinook?  Spose klaska kumtux

>each other?
>xluwima man, wigna?
huloima man,

>(*Maybe "accents" would be more appropriate.  However, I consistently
>(*Tl'unes ilip lhush uk basten wa "accents".  Qhanchi...kwanesem na-
Klomas elip cloosh okoka Boston wawa accents.  Kunsiah, kwahnesum nah

>notice that there were formerly say three major regional variants
>k'welan pi nanich khapa c'em-pipa, anqeti nawitka lhun Chinuk ili'i,
kwolan pe nanich kopa tuzm pepah, ankhuttie nawitka klone Chinook
illahee

>[Southern ca. Oregon,
>[qha uk san milhet pus sitkem san, khapa Oregon pi wik-saya yawa;
ka okoke Sun ? spoke sitkum Sun, kopa Oregon pe wake siah yahwa;

>Northern ca. Puget Sound and coastal BC,
>qha uk kol chaku, khapa salt-c'eq ili'i;
kah okoke cole chako, kopa salt chuck illahee

>and Interior ca. BC and Washington State.]
>pi inatay uk lamotey, khapa dlai ili'i.]
pe enetai okoke lemoto, kopa dly illahee

>each with its own characteristic features.)
>pi khapa kanawi ukuk ili'i tilxem wawa Chinuk dret xluwima.)
pe kopa konoway okoke illahee tillikum wawa Chonook delate huloima

>What say you, friend?
>Qhata ma-temtem, sixs?
kahta mamook tumtum, sihks?

>Warm regards from Dave