Grand Ronde spellings and others for CJ

Mon Jan 11 04:58:58 UTC 1999

Klahowyam, Robin,

Many thanks for your message!  By way of reply,
Hayash masi khapa uk-ma-c'em-pipa!  Pus na-wawa k'ilapay,

the different ways people spell Chinook Jargon are like
xluwima tilxem munk-c'em Chxi Chinuk xluwima, pi ukuk kakwa

the 'dialects' (may I say that?*) of CJ spoken in various
xluwima tilxem wawa ukuk lalang xluwima khapa yawa pi yakwa

places in the Northwest.
khapa nsayka ili'i.

Here's what I mean:  Not everyone's going to easily understand someone
Nanich, kakwa ukuk:  Wik kanawi-lhaksta ayaq kemteks xluwima man

else's CJ, and not everyone's going to easily understand someone
ya-wawa Chinuk, pi wik kanawi-lhaksta ayaq kemteks xluwima man ya-munk -

else's writing of it.
c'em Chinuk.

But, what is CJ if not a means of attempting to understand
Pi pus-ikta tilxem wawa uk Chxi Chinuk?  Pus lhas-kemteks

each other?
xluwima man, wigna?

(*Maybe "accents" would be more appropriate.  However, I consistently
(*Tl'unes ilip lhush uk basten wa "accents".  Qhanchi...kwanesem na-

notice that there were formerly say three major regional variants
k'welan pi nanich khapa c'em-pipa, anqeti nawitka lhun Chinuk ili'i,

[Southern ca. Oregon,
[qha uk san milhet pus sitkem san, khapa Oregon pi wik-saya yawa;

Northern ca. Puget Sound and coastal BC,
qha uk kol chaku, khapa salt-c'eq ili'i;

and Interior ca. BC and Washington State.]
pi inatay uk lamotey, khapa dlai ili'i.]

each with its own characteristic features.)
pi khapa kanawi ukuk ili'i tilxem wawa Chinuk dret xluwima.)

What say you, friend?
Qhata ma-temtem, sixs?

Warm regards from Dave
Nika wawa klahowya.  Dave

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!