Jewitt etc

Thu Jan 14 05:07:14 UTC 1999

Hi, Sally, pi lhaxayem, kanawi-lhaksta,

Hayash masi for mentioning the Sturtevant article on a pre-CJ Nootka
jargon!  I'd love to dig that one up and read it.

Khapa the 'distorted phonology' of Nootka words in CJ, indicating an
English channel (of transmission!), here's a list of *all* the words I've
noted in Jewitt and in Mozin~o's vocabulary list, that made it into
pan-NW CJ. Note that I've not yet
tallied all the Nootka words used in the *text* of Mozin~o's "Noticias de
Nutka".  I've also just gotten the vocabulary of "Aht" (Nuu-chah-nulth /
Nootka) copied from Sproat's "Scenes and Studies of Savage Life", 1868.
(Ouch!)

MOZIN~O				JEWITT

clutz-ma, "woman"		klootz-mah, "woman"
ta-naz, "boy"			tanassis, "child"
?tzia-pugs, "hat"
mo-huec, "deer"			moo-watch, "bear"
??cha-mas, "fruit in general"	cham-mass, "fruit"
cha-ac, "water"
?tza-ac, "river"
?ha-yo, "ten"
co-co-coa, "like or as"
sa-ya, "far"
huic, "no"			wik, "no"
ma-cu-co, "exchange or buy"	ma-kook, "sell"
?pachitle, "give"
hui-na-pe', "be"
?cap-xitl, "steal, pilfer"
ma-muc, "work"			MA-MOOK-su-mah, "go to fish"
na-na-nichi, "see"
				pow-ee, "halibut"
				sick-a-minny, "iron"
				cha-alt-see-KLAT-TUR-WAH, "go off/away"
				i-ya-hish, "much"
				kom-me-tak, "I understand"
				?kah-ah-coh, "bring it"

Note that ? indicates an item that may correspond to a CJ item, but of
which I'm unsure.  ?? indicates an item I doubt as having come into CJ.
CAPITALS indicate the relevant part of a given entry.

Sproat's rather excellent "vocabulary of the Aht language" marks items he
says were "invented since their contact with White Men".  The only
CJ-looking stuff  I
find in a preliminary scan of these words follows:

kah-pooh, "a coat"
Sunday koilh, "the church at Alberni"

That's all.  --Say, I've got to meet friends now, but I'll send this and
try to follow up on it a bit later with questions and observations on
possible Englishinfluence on these words as they came into CJ.

Best
wishes,

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!