Jewitt ...

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Fri Jan 15 14:36:37 UTC 1999

Hi again

some more Nuuchahnulh:

>>cha-ac, "water"
>>?tza-ac, "river"

>Seems to be the same as "cha-ac" - i.e. "chuck".  Maybe there were
>different ways of pronouncing what most lexicons give as "chuck",
>depending
>on whether it was a lake, river, etc. that was referred to.

Compare Nuuchaahnulh ("Nootka" if you will)
ch'a'ak [c^'a?ak] "water", root is [c^'a-]
ts'a'ak [c'a?ak]  "river", root is [c'a-]

a third word in this row is
cha'ak "island" [c^a?ak]
(This makes a pretty good pronunciation exercise for students of
Nuuchaahnulh, teaching the opposition of glottalized vs. plain
consonants. And this again raises the question of "proper" CJ
pronunciation ...)

>>?kah-ah-coh, "bring it"
>Seems to be some kind of combination of "kah" (place, where) and "ko"
>(toarrive)

This again sounds like Nuuchaahnulh
kaa'a ahhkuu [kaa?a aHkuu] in Barkley Sound
kaa ahhkuu   [kaa aHkuu]   in Ahousat and Nootka Sound
"give me that thing (there)"  (aHkuu refers to something at a distance
from the speaker)

>co-co-coa 'like' or 'as'
>Khapa ul Chinook lalang Las-wawa 'kakwa,' kakwa nesayka wawa khapa
>nEsayka Chinuk-wawa.

The following is tentative.
Nuuuchaahnulh qwaa "so, like this" and 'yuqwaa [y'uq°aa] "likewise,
also".

I don't know anything abot CJ but the more I look at it the more it
fascinates me.

Henry