scaron or whatever (Latin 1)

Liland Brajant ROS' lilandbr at SCN.ORG
Sun Jan 17 23:54:36 UTC 1999

Dear Johan Bjornson,

Pardon the delay in this (I saved the note to reply to and then forgot
where I'd saved it...)

Jeffrey Kopp afisxis per la cxinukpigxina listo:

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:46:26 -0700, "Johan Bjornson"
<flodisfont at mailexcite.com> wrote:

[. . .]

> I'm a Swedish student, researching for a project on the prevalence among
> non-Slavists -- that is, speakers of native North American Indian languages
> -- to  use the letter scaron (Š) for the English grapheme /sh/ when that
> diacritic character is coded at ASCII values 138 and 156 in the Latin 1
> (ISO-8859-1) character scheme.

> One of my goals is to get hold on people's thoughts on why this typical
> North American Indians' and Slavists' sign is chosen to be a component of
> the U.S./E.U. character coding Latin 1.

> If the ortography of the Native language(s) You're familiar with employs
> the letter scaron for /sh/, please answer the questions:

> 1) Do You use the letter scaron when writing in a native language on the
> computer, or do You prefer /sh/? Have You ever wondered why scaron
> is a included in Latin 1? Did You "find out" the true reason (does such
> one exist?), or concluded something on Your own?

In writing Lushootseed (aka Puget Sound Salish) on the computer, I prefer
"S", but I sometimes use the (lowercase--Lushootseed doesn't use
uppercase letters except in my preferred ASCII system) s-caron -- see
e.g. on my website at

     http://www.scn.org/~lilandbr/index1x.html

mainly when trying to write the native name of the language, which is

     dxwl at Sucid   (where the w is superscript reduced font, the @ is schwa,
                   and the S is the s-caron).

Yes, I have wondered why Latin 1 includes this letter, especially when
the c-caron, which seems just as useful to me, is omitted.  (To do
Lushootseed properly, though, one needs several other letters *not* in
Latin 1, like x-caron, j-caron, raised w and z, barred l and barred
lambda, not to mention the ubiquitous schwa, whose scarcity in common
type fonts mystifies me, and the undotted-question-mark glottal stop...)

I have no idea why Latin 1 has S-caron and s-caron.

> 2) Is "s with superimposed angle" common in the native language
> handwriting?

Yes, in my limited experience.

> 3) In what terminology do the natives refer to scaron?

Both natives and linguists seem to call it "s-wedge" /'Es ,wEj/.
Personally, I think of it as "s-hacek" (with a hacek on the c, too).  Or,
when I'm thinking in Esperanto (which is often the case) I call it "sxo"
(the Esperanto "sxo" is s-circumflex) or "korna so" (horned s).

> Again, by filling out this query, You hand in invaluable aid for my
> research process.  Many thanks in advance!

No problem! Again, pardon the delay.

Leland Ross

--
Liland Brajant Ros' * UEA-D, Seatlo Usono * FD Baptismo, AA, US-lit-ro
      204 N 39th St / Seattle WA 98103 Usono | tel 206-633-2434
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / lbrnpusa at hotmail.com
        webpage "La Lilandejo" - http://www.scn.org/~lilandbr/