The mystery of the Stuwix - an Athapaskan or Chinookan people amongst the Secx'emc (fwd)

Mon Jan 18 05:05:05 UTC 1999

Hayu mersi, Dell; khanawi-lhaksta, according to a book on (Montana Salish)
legends of the northern Rockies, there are old stories of a people who
came from the ocean, up the Columbia and perhaps the Snake River, and
settled among the Selish.  They are reported to have had powerful canoes,
a strange language, and flat heads.  They were "not Su-appi [suyepi,
'Whites'] and not true Indians."  The arrival of these "Mystery People"
predated that of Whites by a long time; "when the first Su-appi came, they
saw with the Salish a few old Mystery men with flat heads."  The Mystery
People knew of traveling by sailboat.

Sounds a little like Chinooks, maybe, amd their women are said to have
been Coast Indians.  But these men did insist that their forefathers came
from across the Pacific Ocean.

I have heard that the Salish also talk about the "stupid people".  The
word is...um.../smtew's/, "stupid; uncivilized; a lost tribe of Indians
occurring in legends", and while I'm checking the dictionary, I'd like to
mention that the (Spokane) Salish word for whale (!) is /smtus/.  Hmm.
Lastly, I will wonder whether somebody older and wiser knows if these
folks were /stIk shawash/, Salish /sc'weney'ti/, "Stick Indians".

References for the interested:

Clark, Ella E.  "Indian Legends of the Northern Rockies."  Norman:  U. of
Oklahoma Press, 1966.

Carlson, Barry F. and Pauline Flett.  "Spokane Dictionary."  Missoula:  U.
of Montana Press, 1989.

Jacobs, Melville.  Those priceless Chinook Jargon texts that he published
	around 1932 with U. of Washington Press (?).  This is what you get
	for having a tired moderator.  :-)

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html