Hawaiian Loanwords

Mon Jan 18 07:20:46 UTC 1999

Lhush san;

Wik mayka wawa kakwa peLten.  Pi wik-qhata uk "aloha" pi uk "klahowya /
LaXayEm" chaku khapa ixt IlI'i.  Pi qhanchi nayka wawa ukuk, wEXt nayka
tIki wawa:  Ixt man, Hill-Tout yaka nim (kakwa nayka tEmtEm), anqEti
munk-c'Em buk khapa "Salt-cEq lalang tIlXEm" (Oceanic Language Family).
Yaka tEmtEm Hawai'i yaka lalang pi nEsayka IlI'i yaka lalang, lhaska kakwa
uk aw pi ac.  TIlXEm yaka chaku-kEmtEks lalang wik iskum yaka wawa khapa
tEmtEm.

single source.  And while I'm at it, I'll say also:  A guy named
Hill-Tout, I think, wrote a book about a so-called "Oceanic Language
Family".  He thought Hawaiian and NW languages were related.)  [His ideas
aren't accepted by or proved to linguistic scientists.]

Aloha,
Dave
  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!