Hawaiian Loanwords

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Jan 18 08:50:39 UTC 1999

At 11:20 PM 1/17/99 -0800, David Robertson wrote:
>Lhush san;
>
>Wik mayka wawa kakwa peLten.  Pi wik-qhata uk "aloha" pi uk "klahowya /
>LaXayEm" chaku khapa ixt IlI'i.  Pi qhanchi nayka wawa ukuk, wEXt nayka
>tIki wawa:  Ixt man, Hill-Tout yaka nim (kakwa nayka tEmtEm), anqEti
>munk-c'Em buk khapa "Salt-cEq lalang tIlXEm" (Oceanic Language Family).
>Yaka tEmtEm Hawai'i yaka lalang pi nEsayka IlI'i yaka lalang, lhaska kakwa
>uk aw pi ac.  TIlXEm yaka chaku-kEmtEks lalang wik iskum yaka wawa khapa
>tEmtEm.

>single source.  And while I'm at it, I'll say also:  A guy named
>Hill-Tout, I think, wrote a book about a so-called "Oceanic Language
>Family".  He thought Hawaiian and NW languages were related.)  [His ideas
>aren't accepted by or proved to linguistic scientists.]

Hoo, boy - you should see the threads underway in sci.lang and
sci.archaeology about this _right_now_.  Just look for keywords "NW" and
"Polynesia" in the subject headers....(Hill-Tout just came out, but only
after everyone had been ridiculing the main antagonists obsession with
Heyerdahl and the latter's misquotations from Boas......).

Which reminds me.  I promised to consult the Salishanists of my
acquaintance concerning any relationship between the Salishan and Wakashan
language familes.  Comments that I can forward to the NGs?

I already pointed out that even the Jargon - which was formed during a
period of high Hawaiian presence in the region with much intermarriage with
natives - itself only has two Hawaiian words in it.....