Salishan-Wakashan relation?

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Thu Jan 21 09:11:19 UTC 1999

More on "Mosan"

> However, nope, no relation between these languages, except a social
> acquaintance.  :-)

Even rather well established language families like Wakashan should still raise
questions. Indoeuropeanists would probably still reject the evidence on which this
family was proposed. And if it was only for the imbalance in available material
(quantities of Kwakiutlan stuff being easily available around the globe, while
Nootkan materials mostly in some odd library or archive, often unpublished or
handed out as xeroxed papers only).

> I have been getting very interested in the *chance* similarities between
> random lexical items in CJ and those having the same meanings in languages
> of this region.  But I've found nothing to suggest that these are anything
> less than fortuitous, and non-patterned, resemblances.

Where does the non-European vocabulary in CJ stem from if not from the languages of
the region? Only *chance* similarities between random lexical items between Chinook
or Salish or Nootka and CJ ...  ?

> PS -- If you want a contentious bunch of theorizers talking about possible
> relationships among the proven language families of this planet, check out
> the NOSTRATIC list.  Oof!

Yeah, the oddest kind of  "lumpers" far from any serious linguistic methodology,
randomly throwing together surface similiarities between Quechua, Malay, Hawai'ian,
Greek, Aleut and Klingon...
It's good reading, though, like Erich von Daeniken.

Cheers,
Henry