CJ: chapeau?

Henry Zenk psu18009 at ODIN.CC.PDX.EDU
Fri Jan 22 20:19:02 UTC 1999

For Grand Ronde CJ I have both s/S(i)yapuL (S for the shibilant, L for
barred-L) and Sapu, both as 'hat'.  The form siyapuL occurs also in
Lower Chinook, from whence it evidently comes into regional CJ.  I'm not a
Chinookanist, so don't know if there is a Chinookan explanation for the
terminal -L:  certainly, it creates a problem for the usually accepted
French etymology (<chapeau, evidently indeed the source of GR CJ Sapu).
It could however be explained as another instance of traders' distorted
Nuuchaahnulth, had they come to the lower Columbia with a Nuuchaahnulth
word for 'hat' terminating in -uxs.  Very intriguing suggestion.  Another
Henry