Krause re CJ knowledge among the Tlingit

Wed Jan 27 09:25:18 UTC 1999

Krause, Aurel.  "Results of a trip to the Northwest Coast of America and
the Bering Straits."  Seattle:  University of Washington, 1956.
Translated from the German by Erna Gunther, bless her.  Written ca. 1883.

*page 231:  'Only a few [missionaries] made a serious effort to learn the
language of the natives; most of them contented themselves with the meager
Chinook jargon, the common trade language of the Northwest Coast from the
Columbia River northwards to the Alexander Archipelago, which is
sufficient for trading purposes but totally unsuitable for the expression
of religious and moral ideas.'

Most useful, this information.  But may I point out that Chinook Jargon
"Lord's Prayers" were among the most widely known texts in that
language....  And the bulk of printed materials published in the _Kamlups
Wawa_ are in excellent ChInUk Wawa.

At any rate, we know that the Tlingits could understand CJ.

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html