2 more anecdotes from Barbeau

Thu Jan 28 05:43:18 UTC 1999

Howdy!

The Barbeau book quoted in a message I just sent out has also these:

*page 118:  'The Indians, in several canoes, said "Good morning!"  with
the word "English".  We answered, "America."'  [Quoted from Stonington's
"Journal of a voyage to sea in the ship Tiger"; entry is for June 29,
1848.]

This catches my eye as it seems to imply that the Native people were using
English words, not Chinook Jargon, apparently in the North coastal region,
at that date.

*page 173:  'They were cheechakos -- in the Chinook parlance --
inexperienced and gullible folk [in the Klondike].  [Footnote:]  The
definition given of "cheechako" by Gustave Gervais, who was a true
sourdough of many stampedes, is:  "new, just arrived, without experience."
This term applied to things no less than to people, for instance:
cheechako money -- coinage as opposed to gold dust or nuggets in a poke;
cheechako bacon -- a pig; cheechako onions -- fresh onions, as opposed to
sourdough onions -- dried onions.'

Makes me think of the use of the word "Outside" in Alaska.  :-)  Enjoy!

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html