Neat stuff from Moberly: Real live CJ sentences

Thu Jan 28 06:22:52 UTC 1999

I really enjoyed this book.

Moberly, Walter.  "The rocks and rivers of British Columbia."  London:
H(?) Blacklock, 1885.

*page 32:  'In a long, shallow slough, formed by a gravel bar, which the
falling water had left dry, the Indians pointed out a curious ripple, and
called out, "Hyas salmon," which is a very big salmon.'

*page 40-41:  'I was in the middle of the canoe taking bearings,
estimating distances, &c., the Indian boy in the bow, and Perry steering.
The boy suddenly exclaimed "Wake closhe chuck -- konaway [m]ameluce,"
which is "bad water -- all will be killed;" he put in his paddle and lay
down in the bottom of the canoe.'

*page 47:  'Delina's gun snapped, and he called out, "Hyah clattawa"
(Quick -- clear out, or run), and we both jumped over the edge of the
precipice, some 15 or 18 feet, expecting the bear would be on the top of
us.'

*page 54:  '...I...asked them what they would have for provisions.  They
promptly answered, "Tenass pish" (little fish), meaning sardines.  I told
them they would starve on them, but they were bound to have the fish with
"hiyo[u] grease" (plenty of grease), and nothing but the fish, so I loaded
them with as many as they could carry, and they departed over the
mountains homeward bound, shaking hands with me, saying I was a "Hyas
closhe skookum Tyhee," that is, "a very good and powerful chief."'

[This stuff is happening on the Columbia River, by the way, among Salishan
- speakers.]

*page 81:  '...I told Charley he had better try and kill a cariboo...he
said in Chinook, "Nika clatawa -- quansum mameluce -- potlach mika
musket;" or, "I go -- always kill -- give me your rifle." ... shortly
after Charley walked into camp with the hind leg of a cariboo, and, in
answer to a question from one of the Indians, he said, "Mameluce mox" ("I
have killed two"); and produced two tongues, which were cooked for supper,
and found very good.'

*page 82:  '...I supposed I had missed, bbut one of my Indians, who had
followed me, said "Tenass mowic[h] mameluce" -- "The little deer is
killed"....'

*page 87:  '...I thought I heard a bell, and awoke one of the Indians, who
soon said, "Nawitka, ting-ting." -- "Yes, a bell."'

ALqi wEXt nEsayka wawa kanamakst!
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html