"Hudson bay tea" and CJ's effect on Tlingit culture

Thu Jan 28 06:06:40 UTC 1999

Salisbury, O.M.  "Quoth the raven:  A little journey into the primitive."
Seattle:  Superior, 1962.

*page 48:  'The men pointed out a little plant which they said is called
"Hudson Bay tea" and which is used by the natives as we use tea, when they
are in the woods, but that was all the good it did.  It was merely
potential tea.'  [I.e. not medicinal.  It'd probably have a 'native' name
otherwise, I assume -- should I assume?]

*page 66:  'Their limited vocabulary and their contact with people from
the outside world in later years, have been responsible for the
introduction of many of our words into their speech and the coining of new
words to meet new experiences, as when on their first experience with ice
cream, they named it "frozen grease"; and gave lima beans a name that
suggests fat found in a moose; and Quaker Oats a name, because of its
resemblance to the seeds of the wild celery.'

Kol tatush, anyone?
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html