"horse" = -/kiu - tan

Thu Jan 7 03:12:10 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm!

Weyk nay kEmtEks, bEt...pus -tan = "Iktas; Ikta" khapa uk ul ChInuk,
I don't know, but...if -tan = "thing; what" in Old Chinook,

pi pus weyk ul ChInuk ukuk `waptu` (!) -/kiu,
and if that 'root' -/kiu isn't Chinookan,

tl'unEs tl'unEs lhush pus kEmtEks
maybe, just maybe, it would be good to know

dreht *qha* chaku uk tEnEs-wawa (khapa Chi.Wawa) `sIskiyu`.
just *where* the word (in C.J.) 'siskiyou' comes from.

(SIskiyu = khiyutEn lhaska tq'op ya upuch.)
(Siskiyou = bob-tailed horse.)

Uk Edward H. Thomas ya ChInuk bUk na t'u'wEn, ya wawa khakwa:
My copy of Edward H. Thomas' book on Chinook says:

"SIS'-KI-YOU ( [comes from] Cr [ = a language which Thomas doesn't
identify] )

NEsayka dret kEmtEks, "Siskiyou" ixt California IlIhi ya nim.
We know for certain that "Siskiyou" is a California place name.

Ukuk tEnEs-wawa chaku khapa California shawash wawa?
Does this word come from a Californian Indian language?

Dreht yaxka khakwa pus wawa "tl'unEs-Ikta khiyutEn" khapa ukuk wawa?
Does it mean "some kind of horse" in that language?

Ukuk munk nEsayka nanIch uyXEt qha lhatEwa tEnEs-hayu khiyutEn...
Does this show us a path that some horses took...

pus chaku-makuk khapa ChInuk IlIhi, Cayuse IlIhi, Numipu IlIhi?
to be traded to Chinook territory, Cayuse territory, Nez Perce land?

Alta na lhatEwa.
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html