Course in Chinook Jargon

Fri Jan 22 02:49:31 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm, William,

Nay wawa BastEn pus may kEmtEks:  Splendid question!  Thank you for asking
it on the list.  No apology is necessary, I feel, but you're kind to offer
one.

I'd love to write up a course in ChInuk Wawa, modeled after say the Lakota
course I've seen published by Audio-Forum.  There's a lack of programmed
course material for beginners to learn Chinook Jargon and be able to check
that they are progressing.  Such a course, accompanied by cassettes or a
CD, would be a wonderful help, I strongly believe.

When the dictionary is available from the Confederated Tribes of Grand
Ronde, it will be a superior and usable modern reference.  Clearly Tony
has a ton of stuff to keep him busy, working on that with Henry and
teaching classes at Shawash IlI7i -- But to repeat, if there were enough
interest and if it were felt that it's appropriate, I would work gladly on
a CJ coursebook.

Such a book would probably sell hundreds of copies, a smashing success for
the genre.

Any help I can render as you learn or teach yourself ChInuk Wawa?  (You
can do it!)  Contact me directly.

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html