Fwd: Re: Tatoosh Island, Washington ... /tutush tunus-IlI7i/ (fwd)

Tue Mar 30 16:10:01 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:26:38 PST
From: girl wynecoop <wynecoop at hotmail.com>
To: drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG
Subject: Fwd: Re: Tatoosh Island, Washington ... /tutush tunus-IlI7i/ (fwd)

Dave, for what its worth re: Tatoosh.In 1970 I visited Richard Daugherty's
dig at Lake Ozette, (Makah).  I was on a dig at the mouth of the Skagit
River at the time and it was a great thing to visit each other's sites.
While observing the work in progress there along the ocean I glanced down
into a pile of stone discards and found a breast-shaped rock, obviously
worked, with red ochre and some oil as binder outlining the  nipple.  It fit
in my hand.  I did give it to Daugherty.  Always wondered what happened to
it.  Now it seems to have added significance.

I am reading "Indians In The Making: Ethnic Relations and Indian Identities
Around Puget Sound by Alexandra Harmon.  It has several references to
Chinook Jargon.