learning wawa

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Sun Sep 5 07:42:56 UTC 1999

Speaking of learning Wawa, Tony seemed a bit disappointed that I was
too shy at the Workshop to attempt speaking extemporaneously in
Jargon (I just looked busy tending the tape recorder)--but I am
slowly getting better at it.  Preparing the dictionaries to post on
the Web certainly helped me--while working on Shaw's over the past
couple of weeks, I actually had a dream in which a bit of the dialog
was in Jargon.  (So, Lisa, you're not the only one dreaming in Wawa
now!)

I received a well-composed four-paragraph email in Jargon just today
from somebody I'd never heard of before (overseas, even), and was
surprised to find that I could read nearly all of it.  (I was too shy
to reply in Jargon, but I did encourage him to subscribe to the list;
he hopes to find a "wawa tzum-sikhs.")

But we do need to hear it, too.  While preparing the CD of last
year's Workshop, I listened over and over again to the same hour of
Jargon dialog, and still could get only parts of it.  But at this
year's workshop, as I heard Tony and Henry wawa, little bits of it
started to come to me, as I heard the same words pronounced
differently and in other contexts.

Regards,

Jeff