Eulachons (don't read if you're offended by jokes about God)

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Apr 2 17:23:18 UTC 2000

At 11:59 PM 04/01/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>>From: David Robertson <drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG>
>>
>>LhaXayEm,
>>
>>I had a wonderful facetious response composed, and some mysterious agency
>>caused my computer to shut down and lose the entire message!  <+>
>>
>>It boiled down (get it?) to the following connections being drawn:
>>
>>                         eulachon
>>                         |      |
>>                         |      |
>>                         |      |
>>                 salvation      hooligan
>>                 |                     |
>>                 lEkalisti      tamanous
>>                         |      |
>>                         |      |
>>                         |      |
>>                         |      |
>>                         |      |
>>                         Sisi Kli
>>
>>BTW, I reckon you could carry 5,000 eulachons around pretty easily, just
>>in case you ran into some hungry people.  Doesn't the Church of Jesus
>>Christ of Latter-Day Saints say that he was in these parts?  There is no
>>evidence that he preached in ChInuk, however.
>
>Think you mean "He"; and the idea that Chinook is 2000 or so years old is
>interesting in itself.
>
>Legend from the valley I'm from, quoted before: "a long time ago someone
>came through the valley who was so good, people said he was God".  Mind you,
>that could have been Gautama Buddha, too....

>PS pity the Mormons didn't beat the Oblates to the valley, in a way....

The interesting part to me is the possibility that there were Asiatic
connections to the Northwest Coast. Fish oil and grease and the ooligan are
known and used in similar cuisines in Asia and the PNWC. Trade relations
may have existed, at least for a time in the pre-European-colonial era.
There are records from China which indicate that China had a larger
maritime trading armada in a previous time period. This and the long term
Innuit connections lead me to believe that some stories from Asia may have
crossed the Pacific.

David

 ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
               David Gene Lewis
         P.O. Box 3086
Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Home 541.684.9003  Cell 541.954.2466
Fax 541.346.0668

talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez
http://www.kalapuya.com
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~coyotez

Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community, Oregon