<no subject>

rtwright@grassrootsgroup.com rtwright at GRASSROOTSGROUP.COM
Sat Apr 8 13:13:01 UTC 2000

Thanks to those who offered translations of the Chinook in this song.
The words were found in the Cariboo Sentinel, Feb. 13, 1869.
This is the original spelling.
We are pretty sure we know who Mary and Yaco are.

The recording of this and other songs from the period, along with a book
about the songs and music, will be out by June.

Any other feedback on these phrases would be welcome.

Thanks again.

Richard

***********
Mary, Come Home

Oh, Mary, dear Mary, come home with me now;
The sleigh from Mosquito has come.
You promised to live in my little board house
As soon as the pap¹ring was done.
The fire burns brightly in the sheet-iron stove
And the bed is made up by the wall.
But it¹s lonesome, you know, these long winter nights
With no one to love me at all.

Oh, Mary, dear Mary, come home with me now;
Old George with his kuitan is here.
You can, if you like, have your drink of old Tom,
But I¹d rather you¹d drink lager beer.
I¹ve come all this way through the cold drifting snow,
And brought you a message from Yaco;
And these were the very last words that she said:
"Kloshe waw-waw delate mika chako"
Chorus

Oh, Mary, dear Mary, come home with me now;
The time by the watch, love, is three.
The night it grows colder, and George with the sleigh
Down the road now is waiting for me.
She stopped at a stump on her way up the hill
And whispered for me not to follow;
But pressing my hand ere I left her, she said,
"Delate nika chako tomollo."

Richard Wright
Williams Lake, B.C., Canada, V2G 2P3
Phone: 250-296-4432  Fax:250-296-4429