The phrase "chinuk man" in _Kamloops Wawa_, 1897

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Dec 1 05:50:49 UTC 2000

Tlus son, kanawi-klaksta,

Kata msaika ukuk son?

Naika tlap ukuk tanas-tsem, tlus pus komtaks iaka, kopa _Kamlups Wawa_, "No.
149", vol. vi, no. 2 (February 1897), page 26:

1     <15.  St. Mark>  Sen Mark.
2     Sen Mark iaka Sen Pitir iaka "intirpritir", kakwa
3     iaka chinuk man[.]

{Boston alta:)  "Saint Mark was Saint Peter's 'interpreter', so he was a
Chinook [Jargon] man."

This is the first time I've seen this phrase in a Chinook Jargon text.

Do any of you agree with my interpretation (pardon the pun) that the
English word "interpreter" was not necessarily familiar to the intended
audience of _Kamloops Wawa's_ Jargon pages, the regional Indian population?

And that, for this reason, it was paraphrased as "chinuk man", implicitly
giving us an insight into the popular perception of Jargon in that part of
BC?

Tlus msaika mamuk-tsem ikta msaika tomtom.

Alta naika klatwa.
Dave