I'm still working on describing daily life

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Feb 10 03:14:21 UTC 2000

Nadja Adolf wrote:

> I would appreciate any suggestions, helps, ideas with this project.

Lexical/phrasing alternatives; for punch.....I'll be using my spellings,
though, except I'll stick to "munk" instead of "mamook".

> nadja
>
> Elip chako sun geddup tintin munk hyas tintin.

....naika tintin mamook kopa latleh (my alarm clock she made a noise
like a train)

> Nay kopet moosum. Nay halo kwan keschi tikki wegt moosum .Nay klawha chako
> klak bed.

...tikegh moosum weght.  Pe naika mahsh bed (quit bed....., let the bed
go)

> (Early in the morning my alarm clock rang loudly. I stopped sleeping. I was
> unhappy because I still wanted to sleep. I dragged myself out of bed.
>
> Kalakla wawa, sun towagh, keschi nay wegt hyiu moosum.
> Nay klatawa enatai tenas klahannie haws pe ka tenas waum snass haws. Kimta
> tenas waum snass, nay delate geddup pe iskum clothing.
>
> Geese honked, the sun shone, but I still wanted to sleep. I went across the
> bathroom and arrived at the shower. After my shower, I was really awake and
> got my clothing.

I think "klahanie" here doesn't work; it specifically means "the out of
doors".  I realize you want to say "outhouse"; maybe more "klahanie
tenas house" might carry it better, but I think there's probably a
better term.  I know in Canyon English (whatever the Jargon there may
have been) the term would simply be s**thouse, and might well have been
used as a loanword; I don't know.  Of course, we Canucks would probably
more say oothoose if it came down to it, rather than awt haws......

> Nay munk klosh le tah, pe munk klimmin tupso kapa letate. Kimtah, nay tsik
> tsik wayhut kapa tolo dolla.
>
> I brushed my teeth, combed my hair. After that, I drove down the highway to
> work.

Naika wash letah (I think "munk kloshe" here would more mean get them
fixed).  I think there may be a better expression for "afterwards", even
if it's an interjection like "nah".....