mEkmEk haws Iktas

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Feb 13 04:08:35 UTC 2000

David Robertson wrote:

> LhaXayEm.
>
> I've been given to understand that an established word for stove is
> /stup/, from the English word, you know.
>
> By the way, I wasn't using standard jargon when I recently wrote a message
> with the word /khUk/ in it for "cook(ing)".  A more established term would
> be /munk paya/.  The English loanword does however occur in various
> sources, including _Kamlups Wawa_.

I think that munk/mamook piah translates as "cooking" (rather than
"making fire", which is a different activity), when it is within a
context of food.  Mamook piah wapato, e.g., where the meaning is clearly
to cook wapato i.e. "make heat/fire [in] wapato".  If you were to say
"mamook piah [kopa] lapellah" or "mamook piah [kopa] stob", you might
still only be talking about _stoking_ the oven/barbeque or stove, rather
than the act of cooking on the device.....

Mike Cleven
http://members.home.net/skookum/
http://members.home.net/cayoosh/