horse

Dell Hymes dhh4d at VIRGINIA.EDU
Thu Jan 6 17:21:19 UTC 2000

The word for horse in Upper Chinook is also '-kiutan'
	i-kiutan 'male horse', a-kiutan 'mare'
	it-kiudan-yuksh   'group  of horses'

My wife, Virginia,is away just now. I recall her saying something about the
	work in Sahaptin.

This  word is probably not too old a word in Chinookan.  -tan is a separate
element meaning 'thing'.  (or 'what (thing)').

So -kiu is special element.  I don't know  of a parallel for it in Chinookan.
May be from another Indian language.  If Chinookans along the river got
horses traded from the east, Sahaptins could have been the ones.  But for
now that is pure speculation.

	All best,
			Dell