"horse" = -/kiu - tan

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Fri Jan 7 19:04:12 UTC 2000

Dave, Nayka tEmtEm pus "Cr" ukuk tEnas pus "Cree."  George Gibbs yaka wawa:

"Mr.Archibald R.McLeod,a chief factor of the Hudson ’s Bay Company,in
the year 1828,while crossing the mountains with a pack train,was overtaken
by a snow storm,in which he lost most of his animals,including a noted bob-
tailed race-horse.His Canadian followers,in compliment to their chief,or
‘bourgeois,’named the place the Pass of the Siskiyou,-an appellation subse-
quently adopted as the veritable Indian name of the locality,and which thence
extended to the whole range,and the adjoining districts."

Lunas, "Siskiyou" ukuk "missouri patois."

LaXayEm, Jim

--

Visit http://www.adisoft-inc.com/chinookbook/wawa.html to preview:

  Chinook Jargon - The Hidden Language of the Pacific Northwest

                                  ####