[Fwd: Re: copper canoe legends]

Aron Faegre faegre at TELEPORT.COM
Sat Jan 15 20:29:00 UTC 2000

A couple more scattered copper references:

from Boas:  Kathlamet Texts (the one with Tony's grandmother's picture in the
frontispiece?) has 'The Copper is Speared' -- although in the direct translated
text it seems to be called 'that something shining like the sun'.  Boas does not
say why he put 'copper' in the title, but not in the text.

from Ojibwa Chiefs 1690-1890: 'KE-A-TA-NANG Ontanagon River, Michigan, chief in
1827. It was KE-A-TA-NANG who betrayed his people by showing a White man the
location of a large mass of 'sacred' copper near the Ontonagon River. The Ojibwa
people regarded the copper almost religiously and greatly resented KE-A-TA-NANG's
betrayal of their trust.'

Then there is the famous Oregon meteorite that was hauled off to the Smithsonian
but may yet get returned.  Some geologists think that many of the large metallic
strata of rocks mined for metals are from gigantic meteoric hits on earth, e.g.
the Sudbury, Ontario region nickel mines (and uranium mines?).

Aron Faegre

p.s. Tony, thanks for the lead on the Melville Jacobs books on Clackamas Texts --
they are outstanding.