Various: Taholah, WA street name; Little Shell Chippewa <-> Michif?; Tekahionwake Pauline Johnson; Cowlitz Chief Atwin Stockman

David Robertson of Chinook drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG
Mon Jul 17 06:07:33 UTC 2000

Klahowyam!

A quick assortment of goodies:

* There is a Cuitan Street in Taholah, Washington (Quinault Indian
Reservation).  /khiyutEn/ = "horse".

* Among the newly recognized Little Shell Band of Chippewa, based in
Montana and having a few hundred members in Spokane, Washington, there are
quite a few people with French surnames, for example, Salois and Fleury.
It's pure speculation to say this, but perhaps there is a connection here
with the Michif-speaking communities of North Dakota, Saskatchewan, and
elsewhere.

* At <www.bluecrow.com/members/robirda/chinooktalk.htm> you can find a
discussion of the Chinook Jargon used in "Tekahionwake" Pauline Johnson's
book, "Legends of Vancouver" (circa eighty years ago).

* At <www.cowlitz.org/dispossessed/html>, you can find a superb article on
the modern history of the Cowlitz nation, including a fine quote from the
well-known chief Atwin Stockman, circa one hundred years ago, which is
about equal parts Chinook Jargon and English.  If anyone can figure out how
to extract it from that page and post it here, you're more clever than I.
(Note to one of our list members:  There are some mentions of Simon
Plamondon on that website also!)

Best wishes,
Dave