Another antique soundbite of Chinuk: Corp. Bensell, from Youst, "She's Tricky like Coyote"

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Nov 17 01:39:01 UTC 2000

Qhata mayka?

YEkwa nayka tiki munk-nanich mayka ixt chXEp khapa Lionel Youst yaka buk
"She's Tricky like Coyote:  Annie Miner Peterson, an Oregon Coast Indian
Woman" (Norman, OK:  U. of Oklahoma, 1997).

Khapa page 51, nEsayka nanich uk Corporal Royal A. Bensell ya munk-ts'Em:

     "May 1, 1864 [...] After getting in the boat I was surprised to hear
 one of the [...] old and blind [Indian women] aske me, 'Nika tika
nanage nika tenas Julia [...]'  I complyed with this parental demand      and
was shocked to see this little girl throw her arms around old      Amanda
De-Cuys neck and cry, 'clihime Ma Ma.'"

Lhaksta tiki munk-bastEn ukuk?

Dave