Troubled waters under a bridge

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Jun 28 06:17:50 UTC 2001

George Lang wrote:

> For "water under the bridge" or "by-gone things we can do nothing about"
> why not "Lhush khakwa" 'good thus'?
>
> Per Mike's suggestion that we shouldn't just go around making things up,
> unless exceptional bouts of inspiration strike, this idiom is in the Grand
> Ronde vocabulary in the version I have from Henry Zenk, with annotation as
> follows:

I didn't mean it that way; I meant it about translation in general; the
sense of a particular phrase of simple words can be far beyond direct
translation; emulation seems to work best, the finding of a parallel
meaning, perhaps another idiom altogether as is often the case; this
isn't to say thatdirect translation isn't illumniating; only that if
we're looking for a Jargon-flavoured expression of something that has
idiomatic weight in English (or from Spanish into Greek or whatever) it
seems best to consider the _concept_ of the translating expression,
rather than the words of the phrase as we are used to form it in the
English-speaking part of our minds.  So I'm not saying not to make new
idioms; not at all; only to try and make them work well from within the
linguistic sensibility of the Jargon; pithy, punchy and hopefully
obvious to boot.

Hmmm; Trouble chuck keekwulee ....??? Is there a Jargon expression for
"bridge", in Grand Ronde or anywhere?  Of course tamanss chuck or cultus
chuck would be more purely Jargon; somewhree (maybe in Paul St. Pierre)
I've seen "Hiyu Trouble", a Jargon-English hybrid that works well IMHO.

> Lhush khawka / Lhush-khakwa. 1) Nevermind, let it go, 2) It's alright, it's
> good.

There's also "a lot of water under the bridge", referring to a body of
shared experiences, something rather different.

> Of course there is a whole philosophy implicit how we accept or refuse the
> course or flow of events, but I don't think I'll go there tonight....

Again, I wasn't meaning that we can't coin such phrases; quite the
opposite; only that it's useful if we try and take our English
linguistic identity and think within the Jargon.  The Jargon obviously
is composed of accepted idioms, punchy combinations that broaden the
available meanings of the wordlist; the various cultus+, mamook+, mahsh+
and other compounds; some of which are flexible in meaning, some quite
fixed.  What I was meaning that in such efforts at translation - or
approximation - it's just worth stepping back "outside English" a bit in
the process.....

MC

PS so the question is (or rather remains) "what's the intended context
of the cited phrase"?