Troubled waters under a bridge

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at QWEST.NET
Fri Jun 29 11:57:42 UTC 2001

Hi, Dave.  Thanks for the suggestion.  For these people who want a
romantic Jargon name, though, I figure they wouldn't want any
English-sounding words.

I first presumed there wouldn't be a native word for "bridge." But
then I realized downed trees were probably used (or may have been
felled to use) as bridges across creeks or ravines, where fording,
canoeing or climbing may have been inconvenient.  Such a concept
might have had a name (more specific than just "tree across"
whatever) (albeit not in Jargon). And having learned of the elaborate
home construction accomplished with planks of cedar, and fishing
scaffolds, I wonder, were bridges perhaps also built?   I also just
thought of the legend of the Columbia's "Bridge of the Gods."
(Myth?)

Regards,

Jeff