Valdes Nootka vocabulary

Ross Clark (FOA LING) r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Tue Nov 6 05:44:32 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lewis [mailto:coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, 6 November 2001 1:43 p.m.
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Valdes Nootka vocabulary

the other source I mentioned is actually not Pethick but John Kendrick's The
Men with Wooden Feet: The Spanish Exploration of the Pacific Northwest. NC
Press Limited , Toronto, 1985.
Page 76 has a great photo of a page from Mozino's Noticias de Nutka. These
Spanish vocabularies are apparently in Spanish archives. I think it is
Junior Captain Don Cayetano Valdes who is mentioned in the Serial set and he
anchored at Nootka on August 31, 1792 (p.9).

a description of language and discourse is on pages 86-87.
p. 87
" I was able to Identify a few of the words because they have come into use
in the lingua franca known to linguists as the Chinook Jargon which was
still used on the Coast in my boyhood. Klutsma means a woman, mo huec or
moech means a deer, and clush mean good. Tenas, which to Mozino meant
"little boy," can mean this in Chinook lingue franca, although it often
means just "little."

Kendrick also has an appendix with a word list vocabulary in Spanish, Nootka
and English.

The question I have is whether the word list was created by Mozino or
Valdes? I would think Mozino did this as it was common for commanders of
expeditions to take credit for all the work their charges had done. I tried
to scan the photo in the book, let me know if it came out alright.

David

[Ross Clark (FOA LING)]

In the published account of the Galiano-Valdes voyage, they say:

  We are indebted to our compatriot, Don Francisco Mosiño, for almost all
the knowledge and information which we have regarding the natives of Nootka,
with whom Mosiño had extended intercourse and dealings...The discernment of
this deserving man, his constancy, the intelligence which he displayed in
acquiring the Nutkeño dialect, the intimate friendship which he formed with
the most typical Indians and those who were the best informed among the
dwellers in the native settlement, and his long residence there, are the
grounds upon which our impartial judgment leads us to prefer the results of
his inquiries to those of any inquiries which we ourselves made. ....
(English translation, A Spanish Voyage to the Northwest Coast... Ed. Cecil
Jane, London, 1930, p.98)

Ross Clark

 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>