No subject

terry glavin transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM
Tue Nov 13 05:29:26 UTC 2001

 bad, worthless, useless, - or, interestingly, in the case of "cultus
potlatch," a gift in the conventional western sense - something for which
nothing is owed, and the recipient is in no way obliged.

 Shaw has it as "worthless; good for nothing; without purpose; abject,
barren; bad; common; careless; defective; dissolute; filthy; foul; futile;
rude; immaterial; impertinent; impolite, no matter; shabby; slippery;
unmeaning; untoward; useless; paltry; worn out."

 Buchanan adds idle and aimless.

 Cultus wawa is a joke, cultus potlatch tumtum is to give advice.

 Myron Eels noted that cultus meant bad, and "had twenty-three other
meanings." Its opposite, more or less, was "kloshe," for which Eels found
forty-three meanings.

 i believe it was dave robertson's placenames (?) that provide these: Cultus
Ave,Vancouver, B.C.; Cultus Hole,WA, Cultus Lake, BC, Cultus Lake, OR.

 And Charles Lillard's early volume of poems, Cultus Coullee.

 hi theresa.