Double consonants in Lushootseed?

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 5 02:30:20 UTC 2002

>From: Dave Robertson <tuktiwawa at netscape.net>
>That's a good example, too; it's another word that comes from a
>single-morpheme foreign item -- that is, you can't break the word /CEduqq/
>into smaller parts that have any meaning -- and I suspect that this
>Lushootseed word, too, may represent a "hyperforeign" pronunciation.
>(Compare with the current standard Pacific NW English pronunciation
>[latey], with final stress, for <[caffe] latte>.)
>
>If this explanation of the doubled consonants gets shot down, I'd next look
>for evidence that the 3 loanwords we've discussed somehow underwent an
>unusual type of reduplication process in Lushootseed.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the Lush Dict doesn't make clear how
well its lexemes are attested. (The better-attested ones are often obvious
by the number of examples, variants, and speakers cited, but for those
unencumbered by such apparatus it isn't always at all clear whether the item
is (or was once) well-established, or whether it's practically a hapax
legomenon. If it's toward the latter end of the spectrum, then the spelling
cited may reflect oddities either of some speaker's idiolect or of some
ethnographer's pet transliteration system (or degree of awakeness on the day
in question).

>Allow me to point out that understanding how Chinook Jargon words were
>treated as fresh loans into this region's languages may provide us with
>insight into the state of the Jargon at the time of such borrowing.  Thus,
>in my view, this thread has as much to do with the sociolinguistics of CJ
>as with the possibly peripheral subject of Lushootseed Salish.

With the Salish list defunct or moribund, no need to apologize for
topicality if there's any CJ tie, IMO.

lilEnd
who is nonetheless not an adept of Raven's