Researcher seeks Jargon connections in Alaska

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Apr 29 03:09:41 UTC 2003

LhaXayam,

Dear list members, this July I will be traveling in Southeast Alaska on a
research grant from ANLC (the Alaska Native Languages Center in
Fairbanks).  The purpose of the trip will be to document the role Chinook
Jargon has played in Southeast Alaska, by interviewing people with
knowledge of "Chinook" or memories of folks who did, as well as
investigating various archives.

Personal introductions often make for the best leads, so I'm taking
advantage of our Jargon community's existence on this list to solicit your
suggestions.  Do you know anyone in SE Alaska who might know words or songs
in Chinook?  Do you know someone there who remembers people talking
Chinook?  Your suggestions of whom to talk you could be a great help to
this project.

Please feel free to contact me off-list, at <ddr11 at columbia.edu>.  By
phone, try me at (509) 624-8565 ext. 132 during the day, or at (509) 747-
5917 in the evening.  You can fax me at (509) 838-2602, or mail to N. 4208
Calispel, Spokane, WA 99205-1023 USA.

Thank you!

--Dave Robertson