Historical biographies & maps; CJ/TW sites moving, etc.

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Wed Jun 4 08:55:06 UTC 2003

At 06:08 PM 6/3/2003, Scott Tyler wrote:

>The book "Undaunted Courage" which chronicles the travels of Lewis & Clark
>is who were dependent upon tribes along the way, and a Native woman to
>lead them along the route.

Klahowya, sikhs, just tenas cultus wawa here with some possible grist for
the list.

I haven't gotten around to checking out a copy yet, but I've heard UC's a
"good read" and compelling adventure.

Despite my interest, history is hard for me to assimilate by reading as I
become confused by the multitude of names, dates and places. I find
biographies or stories of specific events much easier, as their focus on a
central character or theme keeps me oriented. (Recommendations of bios of
NW historical figures are welcomed.) My involvement out here on the edge of
the "Jargon group" has informed me greatly.

Maps also help a lot; although a Northwesterner, my family never vacationed
(except to visit relations) and I am embarrassed my grasp of our geography
isn't as good as it should be. I tend to stick to the Interstate,
navigating by means like "the next exit past that McDonald's we stopped at
once"--as I suppose many people do. (I put a compass on my dashboard--one
sure sign of approaching geezerdom--so I no longer get hopelessly lost in
the dreaded "Yelm Triangle" after making a wrong turn in Olympia.)

Duane ran across his "Gibbs map"; the Carlton map he scanned for me and I
posted at <http://chinookjargon.home.att.net/mapcoltonw2.htm> isn't the
one, though it is still interesting. I just took a harder look at the
Carlton image, and discovered to my amazement someone drew highways on the
thing sometime in the past, in what looks like ballpoint ink. On quick
glance, it looks to me like the US 99E/W system, so these annotations were
likely made 40-50 years ago--but they could be rail lines. Sometime I'll
have to check some other maps and see what/when. Anyone with a cartography
bkg (or loooong memory) is invited to have a look-see.

Over on the "practice list," Nadja is looking for a Jargon word
specifically for "donkey," or lacking that, one from a local Native
language. Some interesting constructions have been proposed. Anybody know
of one in past or contemporary use?

P.S. Mass-media Jargon sighting: Milk carton in a MacGuyver rerun was
branded "Potlatch." I wonder if there was such a brand 20 years ago, or if
it was a script invention. (I'm quitting cable TV; while TVLand/Nick's been
good company, I now have too many other things to do.)

Regards,

Jeff

P.P.S. while I'm here: TW/CJ sites relocated from home.attbi.com to
home.att.net. Structure of sites remains identical (i.e., just change the
domain name on any links or bookmarks). Referral page now up at attbi.com,
but will probably disappear when I cancel the account in a week, or in any
event in July when Comcast changes the domain name. Notified fifty linking
Webmasters; the search engines will probably take a couple months to catch up.

J.